[CentOS] 64 bit

Maciej Żenczykowski maze at cela.pl
Sun Apr 2 21:57:54 UTC 2006

What you can always do is install a second 32bit copy of CentOS on your
machine and boot into it (or run it through vmware or something like that)
and compile anything which doesn't compile clean in the 64bit copy.
Create a i386.rpm from the compilation on the 32bit copy and import and
install on the 64bit copy - it'll usually worka charm.  Sure it's not an
ideal solution, but it does work (especially since you often already have
a computer running 32bit CentOS4 somewhere and you don't actually need to
do it on the 64bit machine...)

Of course, personally I haven't yet run into 32bit compilation/execution
problems on my 64bit machines... but, then I haven't run all that much
development on them (still working mostly on a dual 32bit xeon).

Cheers,
MaZe.