[CentOS] CentOS 4.3 occasionally locking up accessing IDE drive

Bart Schaefer barton.schaefer at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 01:36:53 UTC 2006

On 4/3/06, William L. Maltby <BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com> wrote:
> Did you catch Leo's post on Sunday that Maxtor had a reported
> problem and fix that might apply to you?

Yes.  I also saw Dave's post about smartctl ... I was interrupted this
morning before I had a chance to reply to them.

The short of it is: (Leo) I'm not having problems with the SATA drive
on its own, but it is a Maxtor so I'll check that out; (Dave) I've had
smartd chkconfig'd off since the day after I installed CentOS 4.2
because always gave a FAILED message at boot (said it was unable to
work with the SATA drive).