[CentOS] additional yum repos for 4.3

Mike Stankovic mlists2006 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 6 17:55:20 UTC 2006

--- Nat Gross <nat101l at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi;
> On my Fedora Systems [/etc/yum.repos.d] I have the
> following repos:
> dag.repo
> dries.repo
> fedora-extras.repo
> fedora.repo
> fedora-updates.repo
> freshrpms.repo
> livna.repo
>
> Two questions:
> 1) Where can I get a .repo file (with centos url's
> of course) for the
> baseic stuff like updates and extras.
> 1b) Can I use redhat repos?
>
> 2) What about the other guys, livna, dag, dries,
> freshrpms.
> Which one of these is safe to use on a production
> server in
> conjunction with the repos used in answer to
> question 1 above?
> 2b Are the url's the same?
>
> Thank you all.
> nat, a centos newbie.
You may/may not be aware of potential pitfalls in
repository mixing particularly in fedora. If you want
the latest and greatest look to fedora. If you want a
stable enterprise grade distro for use as a server
look to centos.

Don't think about migrating/doing a yum
upgrade/downgrade from fedora to centOS by yum as you
will experience plenty of hassle. Simply get centos
4.3 on isos and install from sratch.

You should have a CentOS-Base.repo. To install dag get
the rpmforge release. Your /etc/yum.repos.d/ should
look as follows.

$ ls /etc/yum.repos.d/
CentOS-Base.repo            rpmforge.repo
mirrors-rpmforge

Improve the mailing list by performing a simple search
before posting and reading the faq/etiquette.
Thank you!!