[CentOS] How to install network Printers

Paul subsolar at subsolar.com
Fri Apr 7 02:13:56 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 12:28 -0400, Steve Huff wrote:
> On Apr 6, 2006, at 12:08 PM, Chris Peikert wrote:
>
> > Odd.. wget is not a recognized command. I never even herd of wget
> > so it
> > doesn't surprise me. Know of any other way? I am also looking for
> > books to
> > learn Linux since I have only been messing with it for...2 weeks
> > now. I
> > looked at the dummy books but they don't cover Red Hat. So am I
> > suppose to
> > get a dummy book for each flavor of linux or how does this work?
> > Since I am
> > using CentOS do I get the Red Hat dummies or what?
>
> two books that were of inestimable use to me some time back are the
> Unix System Administration Handbook and the Linux Administration
> Handbook, both by Evi Nemeth, Garth Snyder, Scott Seebass, and Trent
> Hein.
>
> http://www.admin.com/
>
> they're of great practical use, and they'll keep being useful long
> after you've progressed past the "dummies" stage.  go buy them. :)
>
> if you're only going to buy one, of course, buy the Linux book.
>
> -steve

The Linux book is quite good and is used by the local community college
in their Linux course.  I have found it particularly useful when I have
to do something on Debian or SuSE since there are differences and the
book covers those in addition to RedHat/Clones.  The book is not
directed at flat out beginners, but slightly more advanced.

The SAMs books have been good in the past, though I have not looked at
any of the ones since RH 6.2.

As suggested by another a book for RedHat Enterprise 4 would be directly
applicable, and ones covering Fedora Core 3 would be the next closest
and probably are in the bargain bin now.

Paul