[CentOS] Warm reboot failure

Tarun Reddy

treddy at rallydev.com
Fri Apr 7 15:41:59 UTC 2006

I recently bought a new Compaq Presario sr1710nx with 64-bit Sempron
and last week installed Centos 4.3 64-bit on it.

Worked like a champ until I attempted a reboot (using "init 6") and
the computer hung after finishing the shutdown. Rebooting from cold
worked, but without a warm reboot I was hesitant to use Centos. Since
FC5 (64-bit as well) came out recently, I tried it and warm reboots
work great.

So it would seem that it is a kernel/driver issue, but I have no idea
where to begin. Also I'm not if additional grub boot parameters might
help.

I won't be in front of the machine until this weekend, but since
everyone else will be gone by them, I'd thought I'd ask you guys if
you had any ideas. I really would like to get back the package
stability of Centos. Fedora 5's updates are driving me nuts (too
many, too often and too major).

Any suggestions? (I'm going to try 32-bit Centos this weekend first)

Thanks ahead of time,
Tarun