[CentOS] Re: Network and default route

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon Apr 10 19:25:25 UTC 2006

centos at 911networks.com spake the following on 4/7/2006
3:23 PM:
> Scott Silva wrote:
>> I have done that, but it still seems to have a mind of its own.
>> Does the gateway statement mater where it is in the file?
>> IE... could it be the second statement instead of the last?
>>

> The route is chosen according to the cost associated with the route. If
> the gateway is an IP address the cost will be 1, if it is an interface
> the cost will be 0. The route with the lowest cost will be used. You can
> have more than 1 gateway.
>
> http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/linux/usersguide/linux_ugrouting.html
>
> What does the command "route" says?

I seem to have fixed it by not giving the internal network route a gateway,
since it doesn't need to reach anything but the internal network.
I just wish it was smart enough to "see" where a packet came from and reply
over the same route.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and