[CentOS] WOW

Larry Vaden vaden at texoma.net
Tue Apr 11 16:50:02 UTC 2006

On 4/11/06, Chris Peikert <c.peikert at co.matagorda.tx.us> wrote:

> I couldn't help but take notice at some of the responses that were coming in
> from when I was posting questions due to my ignorance of Linux. Some people
> were quick to help, some advanced users I am sure ignored me because im not
> worth their time, and then some other users tried to help but was unable to
> dumb their speech down to newb levels. However I am thankful that there is
> people here to help out. I am hoping someone with CentOS will take notice at
> my difficulty in finding the bloody manuals and will put a link for future
> newbs that says "Download Manuals Here".  I also hope in the future if I
> have questions I will be able to get the answers I seek and those who helped
> me before will be able to help me again.

IMHO (in my humble opinion) www.google.com is one of the best sources
of answers for most questions.

e.g., Google 'linux manual' and the first hit is
<http://www.tldp.org/tldp-redirect.php> (the Linux Documentation
Project).

If you Google 'centos manual' the first hit is
<mirror.centos.org/centos/4/docs/html/yumex/> which can be considered
as a clue to look at <http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/docs/>.

In most cases, the Google approach works better than a mailing list if
you are in a hurry for the answer and don't know the policy and
culture of the list you are about to mail to.

Google is in the business to make money from your visit to the Google
site and is much less likely to exhibit some of the behavioral
charactertistics described elsewhere in this thread :)

rgds/ldv