[CentOS] Update of CentOS 4.0 to 4.3

Chris Mauritz chrism at imntv.com
Wed Apr 12 11:58:13 UTC 2006

Mike Stankovic wrote:
> --- Barry Brimer <barry.brimer at bigfoot.com> wrote:
>

>> I need to update a CentOS 4.0 system to CentOS 4.3.
>> In my opinion, I
>> should start out with a "yum update yum
>> centos-yumconf" and then follow
>> that with a "yum update".  Does anyone have any
>> other input as to what
>> other packages might be needed to be updated with
>> yum and centos-yumconf
>> before the mass upgrade?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Barry
>>

> I recently upgraded several machines from 4.2 to 4.3
> and its best to start with yum centos-yumconf
> centos-release then go on to rpm\* glibc etc etc I had
> a custom shell script that downloaded the ones i
> needed for the first run.
>
> Make sure you install the new kernel not upgrade it
> incase you have problems with the new kernel. You also
> need to deal with all the rpmsave/rpmnew files.
>
> However if i were you, i wouuld back up my data and
> reinstall 4.3 afresh from cds. There were changes ie
> sqlite and so yum would complain.
>
> Hope that helps.

I haven't tried 4.0 ---> 4.3, but I have done 4.1 and 4.2 upgrades to
4.3.  I haven't experienced any problems using this method:

su
<root passwd>
yum update
(hit YES when prompted)
(go out for a cup of coffee while it downloads and updates)
/sbin/shutdown -r now
(system wakes up as CentOS 4.3 box)

It's THAT easy.  These were all rather vanilla systems without any
special drivers or custom kernels that were just doing standard
DNS/mail/web services and it just plain worked.  The CentOS team did a
great job!

Cheers,