[CentOS] Pause after network initialization

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Thu Apr 13 18:56:17 UTC 2006

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

> Is there a "proper" way to put in a pause after network
> initialization to make sure the network *really* is up?  I've had
> this issue for a while with e1000 cards (even on 100MB networks),
> where the first NFS mount will fail b/c the network reports up but
> isn't, really.  Now, I'm also seeing the same issue on cluster nodes
> hooked to a switch with jumbo frames enabled.
>
> I used to hack it with a 'sleep 60' at the end of the "start"
> function in /etc/init.d/network, but that goes away whenever
> initscripts gets updated. My new hack is to put 'mount -a -t nfs' in
> /etc/rc.local.  Any other suggestions?

If NFS is the only issue, have you considered using the 'bg' mount
option? The nfs(5) man page discusses it:

   bg    If  the  first  NFS  mount attempt times out, retry the
         mount in the background.  After a  mount  operation  is
         backgrounded,  all  subsequent  mounts  on the same NFS
         server will be backgrounded immediately, without  first
         attempting the mount.  A missing mount point is treated
         as a timeout, to allow for nested NFS mounts.

It's not the default behavior, so you have to specify it in
/etc/fstab, e.g.,

   server:/export  /mnt/point  nfs  bg,hard,intr  0  0

-- Paul Heinlein <> heinlein at madboa.com <> www.madboa.com