[CentOS] Re: Upgrade of Centos 4.1 with 4.2 ISO disc

BRUCE STANLEY

bruce.stanley at prodigy.net
Mon Apr 17 14:12:40 UTC 2006

Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:  BRUCE STANLEY spake the following on 2/26/2006 1:35 PM:
> Can I upgrade my Centos 4.1 system with the 4.2 ISO install disc?
>
> If so, how do I do it?  It seams to want to do a full (i.e. format, wipe
> out old)
> install over everything.  I do not want to lose my various configurations
> (e.g. kppp, kde desktop settings, etc) that I have already set up under
> 4.1.

at the boot prompt try;
 linux upgradeany

  I finally got arournd to trying to update Centos 4.1 to 4.3 via the
  boot 'linux upgradeany'  option.

  The first attempt hung the system with only 2 minutes left in the
  update procedure (according to the displayed remaing time left).

  It was trying to upgrade Mozilla to the latest version.

  I then hard rebooted the system and tried again thinking that it might
  start over where it left off (the Mozilla update).

  But no, it started the whole process over again.
  This time however, everything completed and no system hangs occured
  during the upgrade process.   Have no idea why it hung the first time around.

  There is plenty of disc space available on the mounted the partitions to do
  what ever it needed to do (as in 60 GB).

  The thing i noticed though, was that everything in my   ~Desktop folder
  that have been set up previous was gone.

  Is this normal in an upgrade procedure with Centos?