[CentOS] Re: Upgrade of Centos 4.1 with 4.2 ISO disc

Wed Apr 19 00:13:44 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-04-17 at 12:14 -0700, BRUCE STANLEY wrote:

> Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com> wrote:
>         >
>         > I finally got arournd to trying to update Centos 4.1 to 4.3
>         via the
>         > boot 'linux upgradeany' option.
>         >
>         > The first attempt hung the system with only 2 minutes left
>         in the
>         > update procedure (according to the displayed remaing time
>         left).
>         >
>         > It was trying to upgrade Mozilla to the latest version.
>         >
>         > I then hard rebooted the system and tried again thinking
>         that it might
>         > start over where it left off (the Mozilla update).
>         >
>         > But no, it started the whole process over again.
>         > This time however, everything completed and no system hangs
>         occured
>         > during the upgrade process. Have no idea why it hung the
>         first time
>         > around.
>         >
>         > There is plenty of disc space available on the mounted the
>         partitions to do
>         > what ever it needed to do (as in 60 GB).
>         >
>         > The thing i noticed though, was that everything in my
>         ~Desktop folder
>         > that have been set up previous was gone.
>         >
>         > Is this normal in an upgrade procedure with Centos?
>
>         Not at all, but then what you did isn't considered 'normal'
>         upgrade
>         procedure. Is there a reason to not just run 'yum update' ?
>

>      56k dialup ..........   :-(

I would highly recommend that if you want to upgrade via an ISO, you get
the DVD and do a yum upgrade against the root directory of the mounted
DVD ... OR ... copy all the CD's into a local tree and do the upgrade
with yum pointing at that.

The "upgradeany" will work, but it makes some assumptions ... one of
which is that this is a major upgrade between versions (otherwise you
would use yum), so some things will be done that may not be required ...
like running some configure scripts, etc.

CentOS is designed to do "yum updates" within a major release (ie
CentOS-3.x to any newer CentOS-3.x, CentOS-4.x to any newer CentOS-4.x).

The "upgradeany" method is the only recommended upgrade from one major
release to another (ie, CentOS-3.x to CentOS-4.x) ... and even then, a
full reinstall is MOST highly encouraged:

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/docs/html/rhel-ig-x8664-multi-en-4/ap-upgrade.html

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes