[CentOS] Preventing the nightly backup from disturbing the cache

Adam Gibson agibson at ptm.com
Mon Apr 24 23:03:49 UTC 2006

Steve Bergman wrote:
> David Mansfield wrote:
>
>> I don't think this is necessarily safe to do.  O_DIRECT adds
>> additional requirements to the memory buffer's alignment and file
>> position alignments.  Unless you have audited the 'tar' source code, I
>> think this is a bad idea.
>
> Actually, I was just getting ready to follow up.  Although the tar
> archive structure looks fine, and most of the files are OK, I HAVE FOUND
> CORRUPTION IN SOME FILES.  So don't use that patch.

I wonder if the corruption has something to do with needing to ftruncate
a file if the file does not precisely end at a block boundary(as the
reference in my previous email mentions).  I would have expected almost
all files to not end on a block boundary so most of them should have
been corrupt but most of them were OK you say?

> OK.  If that strategy does not work, how about the earlier suggestion of
> fadvise?  Would that be safer?  And can anyone provide an example of how
> fadvise64_64() is actually used?  I'm not a C programmer.
>
> -Steve

Nice.  Looks like the right solution.