[CentOS] problem with "yum install libXmu.so.6"

Nat Gross nat101l at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 02:50:59 UTC 2006

On 4/25/06, Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > But in the list below, the last listing, it does show 'installed'.
> Indeed it does. I overlooked that.

> > > You need to figure out if you need the i386 version or the x86_64  version.
> > Ahem. And how do I figure that out? Is there some rule of thumb? Why
> > wouldn't I always want the 64 version?
>
> Well, now we get back to why you were trying to install this lib in the first place.
The IBM DB2 setup program would not run because it couldn't find "libXmu.so.6".
I hope db2 is not poorly written! Furthermore, this is a 64 bit
version from IBM!

It's kinda hard to ask them to help on this because the classical
answer "RHEL is the official distro". On another *32* bit server
running Fedora, I received this answer, but I finally got it to work
on Fedora (4 and 5), until *they asked me* to document it as to how I
got it running!
AND [non-ibm] folks over on the ibm db2 list advised that with Centos
I wouldn't have any problems at all. So, I get this bran new dual core
64 bit server, and I say, ok this time; clean machine, let's go
Centos. <sigh> here I am.

> Since you have the 64bit package installed, and you
> felt the need to try to install it again anyway, you've either got
> poorly written source code that doesn't know enough to look for the
> 64bit libs, or you have a binary application, game or other such
> distraction that wants the 32bit lib for a reason. Not everything is
> 64bit compliant yet so sometimes you need the 32bit libs.

Looking forward to document how I got it running on Centos<g>;
nat