[CentOS] How to find your IP Address

Chris Peikert

c.peikert at co.matagorda.tx.us
Thu Apr 27 13:16:44 UTC 2006

Ok guys a quick newb question. I have been reading up on the Red Hat
Enterprise 4 for dummies book along with installing and playing with the
configurations of Cent OS 4. I have yet been able to find any information on
how to find out what your IP address is. I have it set to use DHCP from our
Windows server and I looked under the network card configuration settings
but can not find any command or GUI place that will show your IP Address.
When I go to a windows machine and try to ping the Cent box by its name it
cant find the host. Now I know I can go into the DHCP server but I need to
learn how to find it on the Linux box.

Another question has to deal with Samba. I set up samba using the GUI
interface then ran  service smb start command to start up samba. The book
says I should be able to browse the network with a windows machine now and
find the linux box but I am unable to. Any clues why its not showing up on
the network?