[CentOS] How to find your IP Address

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Apr 27 13:31:28 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 08:16 -0500, Chris Peikert wrote:
> Ok guys a quick newb question. I have been reading up on the Red Hat
> Enterprise 4 for dummies book along with installing and playing with
> the configurations of Cent OS 4. I have yet been able to find any
> information on how to find out what your IP address is. I have it set
> to use DHCP from our Windows server and I looked under the network
> card configuration settings but can not find any command or GUI place
> that will show your IP Address. When I go to a windows machine and try
> to ping the Cent box by its name it cant find the host. Now I know I
> can go into the DHCP server but I need to learn how to find it on the
> Linux box.
----
please don't send mail in html format

ifconfig

unless a system 'registers' dns name at time of obtaining dhcp address,
you can't find it by name.
----

> Another question has to deal with Samba. I set up samba using the GUI
> interface then ran  service smb start command to start up samba. The
> book says I should be able to browse the network with a windows
> machine now and find the linux box but I am unable to. Any clues why
> its not showing up on the network?
----
use official samba documentation and you will be better off - especially if the Windows server is a domain controller and is running Active Directory.

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs

see 'By Example' - locate a network setup similar to yours

Craig