[CentOS] How to find your IP Address

King, John (Greg) (LMIT-HOU) Greg.King at lmit.com
Thu Apr 27 13:36:29 UTC 2006

/sbin/ifconfig -a

Samba:
1. check the logs in /var/log for helpfull data.
2. iptables may be your culprit. by default it will block incoming smb
connections from your windows systems to that linux system. So you will
need to modify /etc/sysconfig/iptables to allow the ports and protocols
into your linux server otherwise they will just get dropped. You can
probably browse from the linux box to a windows network (as iptables
allows outbound connections from the system by default) but not
vice-a-versa.

Your next question may be how to modify IP tables to allow in smb
connections.

man iptables
cp /etc/sysconfig/iptables /etc/sysconfig/iptables.orig
vi /etc/sysconfig/iptables

add some entries like this (i am unsure of the smb ranges needed so I am
using 135 as an example although I think the range is 135-139 and 445)

where x.x.x.x is the workstation you want to trust the connection from.
Depending on what smb needs you may need udp and/or tcp entries in
iptables to allow in the traffic.

-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -s x.x.x.x -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp
--dport 135 -j ACCEPT
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -s x.x.x.x -p udp -m udp --dport 135 -j ACCEPT

Issue /etc/init.d/iptables restart to make the changes active.

-greg