[CentOS] problem installing centos 4.0 on Compaq Presario SR1722IL

ankush grover ankushcentos at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 14:48:14 UTC 2006

On 4/28/06, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:

> ankush grover wrote:
>
> >     > What is the reason that FC4 and Centos4.0 are failing with the
> >     > installation? What should I do to get rid of the problem ?
> >
> >     you need to provide more info, like what sort of h/w is installed in
> >     that machine ?
>
> > Combo SOLTC-4836k ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM
> > ATI Radeon Xpress 200 Graphics Card
> > ATI Chipset RC410
> > Intel Pentium IV 2.93 Processor
> > 512  RAM DDR2 Kingston
> > Agere Modem (Internal)
> > Realtek High Definition Audio
> > Bluetooth and S-Video Enabled
> > Compaq 7540 17" Monitor
> >

> what is the actual problem ? at what stage and how does the install fail ?
>
> w.r.t the display, once installed run : system-config-display --reconfig
> --noui
>
> that should give you a usable setup, that you can then install the ati
> drivers onto ( get them from the ati website )
>
> hey,

When the Centos 4.0 starts it installing after few minutes errors will start
coming up

hdc:   IRQ Probe failed (Oxfcfa)
hdd:   IRQ Probe failed (Oxfcfa)
hdc: lost interrupt.

There is no problem with the cds as on the other machines I am able to
install those cds but on this particular machine things are failing.

I am reconfigure or system-config-display but I am should be able to reach
that stage where I can issue this command If I am not able to install the OS
how can I issue this command.

I tried Suse 10.0 it got installed but when the KDE comes it shows an error
"Frequency out of range". Suse 10.0 works fine If I boot into the init level
3 but not in init level 5.

But Centos and FC4 are not reaching that stage that I can boot to init level
3 they are failing within few minutes of installation process.

Thanks & Regards

Ankush Grover