[CentOS] newbie kernel question

Sat Apr 1 22:46:36 UTC 2006
Bogdan Nicolescu <bo2k2 at yahoo.com>

[sarcasm]And all this time, decade+, I though the
ability to recompile especially the kernel was the
main difference/advantage between a source based O.S.
and a binary-only O.S. I don't know how you came out
with the statistics but I have a funny feeling you are
100% wrong.[/sarcasm]

Everybody should want to recompile the kernel, if not
for the experience, but for removing the bloat.  Does
everybody really need every chipset compiled in the
kernel!  If the degree of dificulty of building a
custom kernel on Centos change from the traditional
method (make clean, make mrproper, make xconfig, etc)
than say so, and point to an authoritative howto
guide, if there is any.  But whatever you do please
don't insult by deciding for 98% of us what is and
what is not "something you really want to do".  I can
only speak for myself, and I really want to be able to
recompile the Centos kernel, otherwise I wouldn't
waste my energy  asking a zillion times how to compile
Centos' kernel.

Second irony (from second hand information) is that
the vanila kernel compile just fine on Centos using
the traditional method.

http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc4/errata/#sn-kernel

http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-kernel-fc4.html