[CentOS] Network issue

Sun Apr 2 19:42:12 UTC 2006
William L. Maltby <BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com>

On Sun, 2006-04-02 at 18:59 +0100, Denis Croombs wrote:
> >> I have a Centos 3.x server install that has been working for months
> >> now but is now going the error "resource temparary unavailable" any
> >> idea what normally causes this error ?
<snip>

I used to get that on one of my LFS systems (IIRC). It was related to
the driver for an *too (8139? Can't remember now) NIC driver. It would
start "looping" out out of resource messages. I could cure it by
ifconfig down, rmmod and ifconfig up the driver again. Seemed to me to
be failure to initialize properly, although I never went in and
corrected any code like I did for me Crystal Systems based NICs. Anyway,
because of the way it could be "fixed", I deduced it was likely
something to do with early initialization in the system. If your's is
like mine, maybe ifconfig down, rmmod, ifconfig up sequence might fix
it? Also, could try insmod before the ifconfig up.

8139too? I can't remember the driver. If it is 8139, there's another
driver that appeared after the 2.4.x kernel I was using, 8139CP? Maybe
that driver will fix it for you?

Why it should start misbehaving after all this time, I have no idea.
What changed?

HTH
Bill