[CentOS] newbie kernel question (fwd)

Sun Apr 2 21:53:35 UTC 2006
Maciej Żenczykowski <maze at cela.pl>

> ps.  You still didn't answer my question about how not
> compiling ext2 into the kernel brakes everything.
> Don't worry, it was a rhethorical question.

It's not rhetorical - it might not break it, it might break it... The point is:
it's not tested by RH, it's not tested by CentOS, it probably (okay 99.99%
here) works in a vanilla kernel - but does it work after all of RH's patches
have been applied?  It probably does, _BUT_ do we guarantee it?  NO.  It just
might break, and if it does _YOU_ get to keep the pieces and don't say we
didn't warn you (and the breakage may very well be silent and result in a
corrupted disk (etc.) three months from now).  Sure, ext2 seems like something
that shouldn't break, but one would think the same of many other options - some
of which DO break, and perhaps even silently at that (or at least silently
until your system crashes and you lose your data).

Cheers,
MaZe.