[CentOS] Backup options.

Tue Apr 4 21:05:17 UTC 2006
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 09:43, Erin Fortenberry wrote:
> I am a long time FreeBSD user and have been using dump/restore for many
> years for disk to disk backups.
>
> Now I am getting more and more into FC4 and CentOS, but am I stuck on only
> using tar/star for backups?
>
> Tar in its various forms are fine for some items, like home directories, but
> dump and restore in FreeBSD also gave me the possibility of easily doing a
> bare metal restore.
>
> What are my options for command line only backups? What is everyone else
> using?
>
> I do know about Bacula and Amanda... I don't know, maybe I have been using
> FreeBSD for too long.

If you want on-line disk storage, look at backuppc
(http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/).  It uses compression
and pooling of duplicates to keep much more online than
you would expect and has a nice web interface for
browsing backups and doing restores.  It doesn't do
bare metal restores by itself, but it can give you
a tar image that can be installed through your
install disk booted in rescue mode or one of the
live CDs like knoppix.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com