[CentOS] Screen sizes

Fri Apr 7 02:42:25 UTC 2006
Paul <subsolar at subsolar.com>

On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 22:11 -0400, William L. Maltby wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 20:53 -0500, Paul wrote:
> > >
> > > Do I detect a brand new user here? If so, your Q's are just beginning.
> > > Be careful not to alienate the ones who may be able to help. Besides the
> > > books you mentioned earlier, be sure and google, etc. Also, check out
> > > the FAQ for CentOS for some tips that help all of us.
> > <SNIP>
> > > If you are neededing to get more text into a browser, often a <ctl> and
> > > + or <ctl> and - will change fonts. In xterms, you need to use the View
> > > menu to do it.
> >
> > A much simpler way for a new user to do it would be to go into the
> > "Applications" panel menu, then go into "System Settings" and select the
> > "Display" application.
>
> Not to be argumentative, but isn't it simpler for a new user to either
> change screen resolution by a <ctl>-<alt> and plus/minus *if* he had
> multiple resolutions set up already than to navigate unknown menus? That
> was at the start of this thread. If he doesn't have it set up, then
> while in a browser or xterm, again a 2 key combo for temporary grow or
> shrink seems simpler than navigating strange menus. MHO.

I'm sorry I did jump a bit on you ... seemed like he was getting answers
that were not very fresh from Windows user friendly from several
different people on the list for his questions.

> But I'm an old CLI guy and have always gone for the shortest distance...

When I'm working servers CLI is usually the shortest way from point A to
point B and for more complex things the only way.

> > This is assuming you are using the system in GUI mode, since you are
> > asking a question about changing display resolution probably a good bet.
> >
> > Nothing like making things more complex for a new user than needed.
>
> Confusion was not intentional. If you had come on the scene sooner, I
> could have kept quiet and let you show the "right" way. I was looking
> for the shortest path to his immediate need. He wanted to get more on
> the screen.

Well in Linux there is no "right" way generally though for some users
the GUI tools provided are more immediately useful and you did provide
the GUI command later in the thread I saw.

Regards,
Paul Berger