[CentOS] Re: Network and default route

Sat Apr 8 00:35:08 UTC 2006
Barry Brimer <barry.brimer at bigfoot.com>

> Marcus Carvalho spake the following on 4/7/2006 1:37 PM:
>> Edit /etc/sysconfig/network
>> add
>> GATEWAY=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
>>
>> 2006/4/7, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com
>> <mailto:ssilva at sgvwater.com>>:
>>
>>     I have had this problem on and off since RedHat 6, and I always
>>     worked through
>>     it, but I thought I would ask.
>>     When you have multiple network interfaces, how does the system
>>     determine the
>>     default route?
>>     Or is it the first, (or last) interface that comes up?
>>
>>     On the problem systems I have to add a "route add default..."
>>     statement in
>>     some systems in the rc.local to get them to work right.

GATEWAY is a bash variable - so whoever sets it last wins.  I would
recommend putting it in /etc/sysconfig/network .. I would also make sure
that there are no files in /etc/sysconfig/networking or in
/etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default .. these get read after the
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts files .. and as I mentioned before -
whoever sets it last, wins.

Barry