[CentOS] DUP! on ping reply

Sun Apr 9 00:07:51 UTC 2006
Barry L. Kline <blkline at attglobal.net>

Matt Arnilo S. Baluyos (Mailing Lists) wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I'm running a ping command to monitor our connection to the Internet.
> Around yesterday, I was getting a lot of (DUP!) text on the replies.
>
> Would anyone know what that means?

man ping

DUPLICATE AND DAMAGED PACKETS
  ping will report duplicate and  damaged  packets.   Duplicate  packets
  should  never occur, and seem to be caused by inappropriate link-level
  retransmissions.  Duplicates may occur  in  many  situations  and  are
  rarely  (if  ever) a good sign, although the presence of low levels of
  duplicates may not always be cause for alarm.

  Damaged packets are obviously serious cause for alarm and often  indi-
  cate  broken hardware somewhere in the ping packet’s path (in the net-
  work or in the hosts).