[CentOS] SATA Raid 5 and losing a drive

Tue Apr 11 18:26:50 UTC 2006
William Warren <hescominsoon at emmanuelcomputerconsulting.com>

hardware raid is a good thing..:)

Andy Green wrote:
>> Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
>>
>>> Did you try doing any I/O to the array?  In my limited experience
>>> with software RAID, it won't notice a drive missing until it tries to
>>> do something with said drive.
>>
>> Yes I did do this, I copied a file to the mountpoint and did a sync.
>> Nothing.
>
> Hm Googling around suggests that everyone with SATA raid may be
> experiencing the same lack of warning that their safety net just blew a
> hole through the server farm roof in a bid to reach escape velocity.
>
> ''...The error handling is very simple, but at this stage that is an
> advantage. Error handling code anywhere is inevitably both complex and
> sorely under-tested. libata error handling is intentionally simple.
> Positives: Easy to review and verify correctness. Never data corruption.
> Negatives: if an error occurs, libata will simply send the error back
> the block layer. There are limited retries by the block layer, depending
> on the type of error, but there is never a bus reset.
>
> Or in other words: "it's better to stop talking to the disk than
> compound existing problems with further problems."
>
> As Serial ATA matures, and host- and device-side errata become apparent,
> the error handling will be slowly refined. I am planning to work with a
> few (kind!) disk vendors, to obtain special drives/firmwares that allow
> me to inject faults, and otherwise exercise error handling code.
>
> Error handling improvements will almost certainly be required in order
> to implement features such as device hotplug.
> ...''
>
> http://linux-ata.org/software-status.html

My "Foundation" verse:
Isa 54:17  No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and
every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt
condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their
righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.

-- carpe ductum -- "Grab the tape"
CDTT (Certified Duct Tape Technician)

Linux user #322099