[CentOS] Re: Problems with 4.3 install - didnt write boot record

Thu Apr 13 23:22:40 UTC 2006
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

Les Mikesell spake the following on 4/13/2006 8:19 AM:
>>> Grub doesn't understand raid - is your /boot on an md device?
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>> I have grub booting off /dev/md0 right now which is mounted as /boot.
>> And have with gentoo and many other distros, I think you have been
>> mis-informed.
>
> If it is a RAID1, I suspect that you are really booting from the
> underlying normal partition as far as grub is concerned and
> some magic in the installer figured out how to set it up
> for you.  Lilo has had that magic built in for some time now
> but if Centos does it for grub it is a very recent addition.
> Normally you have to run grub manually to install it on
> both of the mirrored drives.

I think the grub install has been automagic since 4.0 came out. Before that I
always kept a boot floppy  halfway in the drive just in case the first drive
failed.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and