[CentOS] yum error

Fri Apr 14 07:24:40 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-14 at 01:00 -0400, Nick Smith wrote:
> > > I do have qmail installed with clamav and SA, and they all seem to be
> > > working fine, what is the missing Dep and how to I fix this problem?
> >
> > The missing dep will be perl-Mail-SpamAssassin-3.0.2-1 once it's
> > upgraded. The fix is to remove spamassassin-tools.
> >

> would that stop SA from working? im assuming its there for a reason right?

The problem is caused by:

1.  One version of SA from qmailtoaster.
2.  A different version of SA in CentOS.
3.  A 3rd version of SA from dag's repo.

Dag's version is trying to replace the version from qmailtoaster.

How you fix the problem is like this:

1.  Edit /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo ... in the [base] and
[updates] sections add this:

exclude=spamassassin

2. Edit your /etc/yum.repos.d/whatever_is_dags.repo (substitute your
name here) and find the section for dag's repo and add this line to that
section:

exclude=spamassassin spam-tools

---------------
If the SA that you have working is from qmailtoaster, that will prevent
Dag, base and updates from trying to overwrite the SA from qmailtoaster
when you do updates.

PS - there is a brand new version of SA for qmailtoaster just published.

---------------
You also will want to block other items from dag's repo that could
update other components from qmailtoaster ... for sure that includes
clamav ... so the exclude line for dag would be:

exclude=spamassassin spam-tools clamav clamav-db clamav-milter clamav-devel clamd

(all one line)
--------------
As I tried to explain ... you have to figure out what conflicts there
are in 3rd party repos (for your exact situation) and you have resolve
them in the way that you want.  Your repos are different than everyone
else.  Dag doesn't know that you are going to use his repo with
qmailtoaster and CentOS ... so you have to solve the overlap there.

There is the overlap that we took care of above for SA and clamav from
qmailtoaster ... there might be other packages as well from dag's repo
that conflict w/qmailtoaster.

There is also overlap with core CentOS packages that need to be
solved ... dag provides a newer version of several packages in his repo
that will overwrite core CentOS packages ... they include (this may not
be everything):

createrepo
freetype
freetype-demos
freetype-devel
freetype-utils
iptraf
lftp
mod_dav_svn
mtr
mtr-gtk
nmap
nmap-frontend
python-elementtree
python-urlgrabber
rdesktop
rsync
subversion
subversion-devel
subversion-perl
syslinux
xmms
xmms-devel
xmms-skins
xrestop

If you install the protectbase plugin that I pointed to before and use a
protect=1 on the base, updates, extras, addons repos for CentOS and a
protect=0 for dag's repo, it should protect you from having those core
packages updated.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes