[CentOS] Backing up CentOS

Tue Apr 18 23:57:21 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-18 at 17:57 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-04-18 at 15:16, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>
> > I just built a package called backuppc for the testing CentOS repo.  It
> > requires a dedicated backup server that you run it on, and it can backup
> > Linux/Unix/Mac machines via rsync or tar and Windows machines via samba.
>
> Actually a fast desktop machine with a big disk drive works pretty
> well.  If the targets you are backing up are left on all the time
> backuppc will do all its work at night so you can use the machine
> for other things in the daytime.

Right,

I didn't explain myself very well :)

What I meant was that backuppc requires that you run both it's daemon
and the httpd (apache) daemon as the backuppc user ... this can cause
issues with other web applications, so you should pick a machine that
doesn't run other web server applications or hosts if possible.

Any machine that can run CentOS 4 and has 256mb RAM and lots of storage
space can be the backup machine ... though there are calculations and
those will run much faster with more horsepower. Also lots of stuff can
be cached, so the more memory the better too.

You could run 2 separate instances of httpd (apache) on different ports
(a normal one and a backuppc one) which would allow you to run normal
websites and the backuppc server on a web server ... so anything is
possible.