[CentOS] Re: Re: backing up my system with dump (Chris Mauritz)

Wed Apr 19 01:02:33 UTC 2006
Chris Mauritz <chrism at imntv.com>

israel.garcia at cimex.com.cu wrote:

>>> Let's say you have two disks.  There's the "system" disk with the root
>>>

>>> partition mounted as / and the "backup" disk mounted as /backup.  If
>>>
> you
>
>>> did this:
>>>

>>> /sbin/dump -0u -f /backup/rootbackup /
>>>

>>> you would wind up with a dump image of your root filesystem on your
>>> backup disk and it would be called "rootbackup".
>>>

>>> That works for me.
>>>

> Really good Chris, I'm dumping my filesystems NOW! :-), but a last
> question:
> How can I restore from this dump image?

man restore.  8-)

It's been a while, but I think to interactively restore from an archive
you would type something like:

restore -i name_of_your_archive_file

This will give you a restore prompt and you can interactively retrieve
what you need from the archive.  There are also flags available with
restore to pave over a virgin filesystem and recreate the dumped file
system.  I hate to join the RTFM ranks, but restore can do a LOT of
things in many different ways so it's worth reading the man page so you
can figure out the best strategy for you when it comes time to restore
files from a dump archive.

Cheers,