[CentOS] Installing DNS

Tue Apr 25 14:06:46 UTC 2006
Alexandru E. Ungur <alexandru at globalterrasoft.ro>

>>> sender: "Kaplan, Andrew H." date: "Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 09:44:25AM -0400" <<<EOQ
> Hi there --
Hi,

> I have completed downloading the BIND software onto the system in question, and
> I am now ready to configure the DNS server. The type of server I want to create
> is a caching server. The reason for this is I want the system to resolve
> hostnames exclusively within a private network, 192.168.0.x, and the server will
> NOT have access to the Internet. I know I will need to modify the
> /etc/named.conf and other files but I am not familiar with what settings are
> needed. What tools and/or entries can I use to complete the configuration of the
> server? Thanks.
Are you really sure you need a caching nameserver... ?

The cache, needs well... something to cache... Usually that something
is 'the Internet' ;) however in your case, it will be the authoritive
server for your intranet (you do have one, right. or not... ?).

Now, if my guess is right, you actually want to setup a DNS server
that is authoritive for your local domains (and not a caching server).
Make sure you choose your internal domainnames wisely, it is
advisable to avoid creating internal TLDs that are used publicly
(that is instead of naming your internal domains: accounting.com
management.com and so on, name your local domains using a TLD like
.i or .0 whatever that are safe to use).

Good luck,
and good reading: http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO.html

Alex