[CentOS] problem with "yum install libXmu.so.6"

Tue Apr 25 23:12:53 UTC 2006
Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com>

> Two questions:
> 1. Doesn't yum know that its running on a 64 bit system and
> automatically pull the right  rpm's?

Yum knows. The problem is that you haven't told it specifically which
one you want. Multiple packages provide that file. The other issue is
that the 64bit centos isn't fully 64bit. There are some i386 packages
in place for compatibility, and updates to them get dragged in as
well. This is a reasonably common problem, and if you read/google
through the list archives, you'll see several instances of it. It's
not a yum issue, so much as an OS issue inherited from the upstream
vendor.

> 2. If I need to specify 64 bit version of the aforementioned pkg
> (libXmu.so.6), how do I do that? Is there a naming convention for
> this?

 I'd start off by adding/creating a file for your user and root called
.rpmmacros in their respective home directories. The content of this
file should be as follows:

%_query_all_fmt %%{name}-%%{version}-%%{release}.%%{arch}

Then do 'yum provides libXmu.so.6'
It'll return the likely matches, showing the appropriate arch for
each. Then if you want the 64bit package do 'yum install
packagename.x86_64'

It should be in xorg-x11-libs.i386 or xorg-x11-libs.x86_64. You'll
want to run the commands above to verify this for yourself.

--
This message has been double ROT13 encoded for security. Anyone other
than the intended recipient attempting to decode this message will be