[CentOS] problem with "yum install libXmu.so.6"

Wed Apr 26 14:03:05 UTC 2006

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-04-26 at 06:53, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>>> If it does want the 32-bit version it shouldn't hurt anything
>>> to install it with:
>>> yum  install xorg-x11-libs.i386
>>> I needed that for VMware server recently and posted here about
>>> a conflict with fontconfig from the 64-bit version.  I think
>>> that's a bug but someone responded with a workaround:
>>
>>> rpm -e --justdb --nodeps fontconfig
>> which is very very wrong, and if you really care about this, dont do it.
>>  find the solution to the problem, rather than just using a hammer to
>> break your system even more.
>>
>> which in the case of the vmware-server, is to remove fontconfig.x86_64
>> and install fontconfig.i386 manually. The rest of your install will work
>> then.
>
> The solution is to not have conflicting packages in the
> repositories.  How do we arrange that?

:( this will need to be something from upstream... and yes i know its
been a major problem for everyone who tries to multilib stuff.

one potential issue is a local fix in centos, and push patches to RH.
let me work out whats involved.