[CentOS] additional yum repos for 4.3

Wed Apr 5 23:49:24 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 18:22 -0400, Nat Gross wrote:
> Hi;
> On my Fedora Systems [/etc/yum.repos.d] I have the following repos:
> dag.repo
> dries.repo
> fedora-extras.repo
> fedora.repo
> fedora-updates.repo
> freshrpms.repo
> livna.repo
>
> Two questions:
> 1) Where can I get a .repo file (with centos url's of course) for the
> baseic stuff like updates and extras.

There is a package called centos-yumconf that provides the
file /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo.  It is installed on all CentOS
installs and enables the Base, updates, addons, and extras repos by
default.  The centosplus and contrib repos are included but disabled by
default.  Here the default file:

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/CentOS-Base.repo

Here is an explanation of the differnt CentOS repos:

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/Readme.txt

> 1b) Can I use redhat repos?

You can use EL4 repos from dag and dries ... and there are 2 repos at
http://centos.karan.org/

> 2) What about the other guys, livna, dag, dries, freshrpms.
> Which one of these is safe to use on a production server in
> conjunction with the repos used in answer to question 1 above?
> 2b Are the url's the same?

You would use the URLS for dag and dries for el4.  Karan.org only has
EL4 support.

Safe is a relative term.  I recommend that you use the protect base
plugin.  That will prevent replacement of protected files.  I also
recommend that fastestmirror plugin ... it tests the speed of your
mirrors and uses the fastest one if there are multiple mirrors for a
repo.

To use the protectbase and fastest mirror plugins, you would install
them:

yum install yum-plugin-protectbase yum-plugin-fastestmirror

Then you would edit the file /etc/yum.conf and add this line:

plugins=1

Then you would edit your .repo files and put:

protect=1
 or
protect=0

in each repo.  (1 is to protect that repo ... 0 is to allow updates)

The way it works is ... any repo with  protect=1 can replace files from
all repos ... but repos with protect=0 can only replace files in other
repos with protect=0.

If you don't use protectbase, then any 3rd party repo can end up
replacing system files ... this can have a negative effect on the
stability of your system.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes