[CentOS] firefox-1.5.0.2-2.1.c4.centos.i386.rpm in testing -error message

Wed Apr 19 15:35:24 UTC 2006
Bart Schaefer <barton.schaefer at gmail.com>

[I'm not on the devel list, so I'm not attempting to post this there.]

On 4/19/06, Mike Stankovic <mlists2006 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Firefox could not install this item because
> "install.rdf" (provided by the item) is not well
> formed or does not exist. Please contact the author
> about this problem.

This has something to do with one or more extensions.  Even with
1.5.0.1 I was having problems with firefox crashing on startup
whenever an extension was added or removed.  When I installed 1.5.0.2
from the testing repository I got the install.rdf message, so I tried
uninistalling and re-installing all my extensions (except the default
language packs and DOM inspector) and now the startup-time crashes
have stopped.

I do have one problem which began with 1.5.0.1 and persists in
1.5.0.2, which is that occassionally when downloading a file, firefox
crashes when opening the file in an external application.  With
1.5.0.1 it would crash after starting the app, but in 1.5.0.2 it
crashes before the app is launched.  This doesn't happen consistently,
and it's only happening to me on CentOS 4.3 -- I have 3.7 on another
machine and external viewers work fine there.  It seems to be related
to chosing "Other..." from the "What should firefox do with this"
dialog and then navigating to an alternate viewer -- I've never seen a
crash when accepting the default application.