[CentOS] Samba/ldap install script from k12osn perl problems

Robert Moskowitz

rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Aug 1 01:54:39 UTC 2006

There has been some very good work by a few people over in k12osn for
setting up a SAMBA PDC/BDC environment.

Thing is their scripts are for Fedora core 3.

There are instructions on how to get things to go step by step instead
of use the Fedora-based script, so I gave it a try.

Step 1 is to get apt running and everything current. I assumed yum would
do instead.

step 2 has:

*Installing CPAN bundles

*

Now we need to make sure our perl modules are all there and up to date.
We can do this easily by

Running

perl -MCPAN -e –shell

Let it run. Answer “no” when it asks about Manual configuration.

Once it stops you'll be at the cpan prompt....type

install Bundle::CPAN

this will install many perl modules for you. Answer “yes” to any
dependency questions. When you get

to the question about “libnet”....answer “no”. Once you are
finished...hit “enter” to exit....it'll run for a

few seconds more and then bring you back to the cpan prompt. For good
measure let's type

install Net::LDAP (it should be up to date)

Well I had many messages from the perl -MCPAN and install Bundle::CPAN
and the install Net::LDAP just failed.

Being how this is rather foreign to me, how do I figure out what really
went wrong and how to get it right?