[CentOS] x86_64 reproducible server PANIC with latest kernel

Kay Diederichs kay.diederichs at uni-konstanz.de
Tue Aug 1 09:01:34 UTC 2006

Feizhou wrote:
> Matthew Miller wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 11:28:21PM +0200, Kay Diederichs wrote:
>>
>>> Modules linked in: vmnet(U) vmmon(U) netconsole netdump ppdev nfs nfsd
>>
>>                      ^^^^^,   ^^^^^
>> [...]
>>
>>> Pid: 16269, comm: java Tainted: PF     2.6.9-42.ELlargesmp
>>

>> Your kernel is tainted by binary-only kernel modules. Can you reproduce
>> this without these modules loaded?
>>

> VMware?

I forgot in my first posting to mention that the problem has nothing to
do with the kernel being tainted (due to VMware server).

I installed VMware server _after_ being faced with the crashes, to give
the Java user a "sandbox" which s/he could crash without taking down the
real server. Only then I discovered that VMware server has a memory
limitation to 3600MB (I guess because it's not a 64bit application).

I see exactly the same crash with a non-tainted kernel.

I take the opportunity to add that I just ran memtest86+ for 20 hours,
without any indication of a hardware (memory) problem.

Kay