[CentOS] OT: Measure 2U Server Amp Usage

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed Aug 2 02:09:00 UTC 2006

Karl R. Balsmeier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Running a bunch of CentOS servers on 2U supermicro equipment, usually with
> 8 drives on Adaptec SmartRAID V or LSI Megaraid.
>
> In designing a rack in a data center, the question arises as to how to
> measure the amperage the server uses, prior to investing in power drops
> that actually do that for you, even remotely, for about $260.00-300USD per
> unit.  This number is the important one these days in determining
> rack/datacenter design.

I use the Radio Shack Amp meter.  It has an inductance jaw that you put
over ONE wire to the device.  This means you need a place on the circuit
that separates the hot and neutral wires.  I have a special rig:  Mail
plug - separate wires - Female receptacle.  Of course I have to unplug
the device, put this rig in, test, then put things back.