[CentOS] EXT3-fs error (devive dm-0) in start_transaction: Journal has aborted

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Wed Aug 2 15:55:38 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 11:12 -0400, Matty wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Aug 2006, Alfred von Campe wrote:
>
> >> Maybe the disk is dying? Did you run smartd (it requires -d ata for SATA
> >> disks; this option needs to be put in smartd.conf)?
> >
> > It's a brand new disk (well, less than three months old), and it pretty much
> > <snip>

> I would also recommend running a long SMART self-test on the drive.  If
> you capture the SMART attributes before and after the test, it is actually
> pretty easy to locate the source of the problem (e.g., host controller vs
> disk disk vs. bad sector ) by comparing the SMART attributes that were
> captured. If you want additional details, check out the following
> article:
>
> http://prefetch.net/articles/diskdrives.smart.html

Hmmm. Maybe something I've seen here is related? Regardless, it raises a
Q for me.

I'vew a couple commodity IDE ultra drives that have S.M.A.R.T.
technology. Diffent sizes, different manufacturers. S.M.A.R.T is
disabled in my BIOS. Both drives fail boot after a poer off period. But
if I wait for a while after poer on (5 - 10 minutes?), either boots
fine. And both have no problem with warm boots.

Symptoms vary from "crc error" after "booting..." message from grub(?)
or things just "freeze.

Well, spin up on them shows

FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
0x0007   093   092   021    Pre-fail  Always       -       1866
0x0027   252   252   063    Pre-fail  Always       -       1457

Now, the Q is: what do the numbers mean? Seconds? Milliseconds? If it's
seconds, the "RAW_VALUE" may explain why all is OK after things have
been powered up long enough. If it's ms, I can only thing it is running
a self-test. I would have to go read those articles more closely to see
what I can determine.

Anyway, I thought the OP might have a similar thing affcting him. Delay
in spin-up after sleeping or some other smart-related setting.