[CentOS] EXT3-fs error (devive dm-0) in start_transaction: Journal has aborted

Alfred von Campe alfred at 110.net
Wed Aug 2 18:41:18 UTC 2006

On Aug 2, 2006, at 11:12, Matty wrote:

> I would also recommend running a long SMART self-test on the
> drive.  If you capture the SMART attributes before and after the
> test, it is actually pretty easy to locate the source of the
> problem (e.g., host controller vs disk disk vs. bad sector ) by
> comparing the SMART attributes that were captured. If you want
> additional details, check out the following article:

Thanks for the URL.  I'd love to run a SMART analysis, but apparently
smartctl doesn't support SATA drives.  At least the version that
comes with CentOS doesn't (I haven't tried to rebuild it from sources
- yet)!

I tried accessing the drive from the CentOS LiveCD, and wasn't
successful.  There are two partitions on the drive, one for /boot,
and the rest of the disk is managed by LVM.  I was able to mount the /
boot partition, but I couldn't read the grub directory due to
apparent corruption (that's a bad sign right there).  But maybe I can
recover some of the data from the rest of the disk.  How do I mount
the logical partitions managed by LVM from the command line?  I
haven't had a chance to google for this/read the man page, so if
someone has a quick synopsis handy, I would really appreciate it.

Alfred