[CentOS] EXT3-fs error (devive dm-0) in start_transaction: Journal has aborted

Kay Diederichs kay.diederichs at uni-konstanz.de
Wed Aug 2 18:49:35 UTC 2006

Alfred von Campe wrote:
> On Aug 2, 2006, at 11:12, Matty wrote:
>
>> I would also recommend running a long SMART self-test on the  drive.
>> If you capture the SMART attributes before and after the  test, it is
>> actually pretty easy to locate the source of the  problem (e.g., host
>> controller vs disk disk vs. bad sector ) by  comparing the SMART
>> attributes that were captured. If you want  additional details, check
>> out the following article:
>

> Thanks for the URL.  I'd love to run a SMART analysis, but apparently
> smartctl doesn't support SATA drives.  At least the version that  comes
> with CentOS doesn't (I haven't tried to rebuild it from sources  - yet)!
>
> I tried accessing the drive from the CentOS LiveCD, and wasn't
> successful.  There are two partitions on the drive, one for /boot,  and
> the rest of the disk is managed by LVM.  I was able to mount the / boot
> partition, but I couldn't read the grub directory due to  apparent
> corruption (that's a bad sign right there).  But maybe I can  recover
> some of the data from the rest of the disk.  How do I mount  the logical
> partitions managed by LVM from the command line?  I  haven't had a
> chance to google for this/read the man page, so if  someone has a quick
> synopsis handy, I would really appreciate it.
>
> Alfred

Alfred,

the CentOS smartctl _does_ work (for me at least) with SATA disks if you
use the "-d ata" option. So please try
smartctl -d ata -a /dev/sda
You can run a long test with
smartctl -d ata -t long /dev/sda

You better not try to e2fsck a dying disk ... try to copy it with
ddrescue, and run e2fsck on the copy, and mount the copy afterwards. An
external USB disk is very handy for that purpose.

Kay