[CentOS] EXT3-fs error (devive dm-0) in start_transaction: Journal has aborted

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Wed Aug 2 19:11:05 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 14:41 -0400, Alfred von Campe wrote:
> On Aug 2, 2006, at 11:12, Matty wrote:
>
> ><snip>

> I tried accessing the drive from the CentOS LiveCD, and wasn't
> successful.  There are two partitions on the drive, one for /boot,
> and the rest of the disk is managed by LVM.  I was able to mount the /
> boot partition, but I couldn't read the grub directory due to
> apparent corruption (that's a bad sign right there).  But maybe I can
> recover some of the data from the rest of the disk.  How do I mount
> the logical partitions managed by LVM from the command line?

I'm new, but I think if you add it to a system, some changed things will
appear on boot. Do a

  pvscan --verbose
  vgdisplay --verbose
  lvdisplay --verbose  xxxx  # for each volgroup

to get a layout. I *suspect* the LVM routines have everything set up as
far as the physical aspects go. But the normal VolGroup00/LogVol00 is
already used on your machine. I'm not sure how LVM will place the new
volume into the system. If lucky, just find the physical volume and
makes new /dev/mapper entries. That would be good. I've not had to do
this carrying a disk to another machine.

Depending on what it shows, we might be able to proceed easily.

Post results here.

If it's beyond me, I'm sure some of the more experienced folks will be
able to help.

> <snip>
> Alfred
> <snip sig stuff>