[CentOS] EXT3-fs error (devive dm-0) in start_transaction: Journal has aborted

Alfred von Campe alfred at 110.net
Wed Aug 2 22:02:14 UTC 2006

> the CentOS smartctl _does_ work (for me at least) with SATA disks
> if you use the "-d ata" option. So please try
> smartctl -d ata -a /dev/sda

I was able to run this command and the output is attached.  Does
anything there point to a disk HW failure?  I still think that I'm
just suffering from file system corruption.

> You can run a long test with
> smartctl -d ata -t long /dev/sda

I just started this now, and it told me to wait for 70 minutes for
the test to complete.  How do I check its results?

BTW, I was able to mount the LVM partition and copy some critical
files (see my next email).  After I did that I first tried to run the
long test and got a kernel panic.  But that was after getting a bunch
of errors when accessing the drive.

Alfred