[CentOS] CentOS Based Fierwall Document

Frank Tanner III pctech at mybellybutton.com
Fri Aug 4 03:09:12 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 19:16 -0700, Karl R. Balsmeier wrote:
> well, I should thank you for the console init howto you submitted a while
> back which helped me alot. It was very clear and coherent, and helped me
> in my later scripting/ automation efforts.
>
> there were a few funny replies where someone tried to do a comparative
> analysis of console servers vs. screen switches -but your response, and
> Rodrigo Barbosa's, both helped me in a pinch.
>
> As for the stuck-up attitudes you tend to run across, just blow it off.
>
> For every person they discourage, I help three.  The one chap just
> communicates that way. Genotype x43a wouldn't have it any other way.
>
> -karl

That was a direct piece from my firewall document.  I don't mind helping
people out when I can.  What I *DO* mind, which you didn't do, is when
people are jerks when you try to help them.  Which is why I stopped
paying attention to the people in the CentOS forums.

While, yes, I have my own Internet domain, I cannot afford the bandwidth
necessary that hosting my document online could incur.  A few people on
the list couldn't seem to grasp that not everyone creating something for
the "community" has deep pockets.  As such, I chose to distribute it via
e-mail and asked people to request it.  Then I was accused of being
nothing more than someone trolling for e-mail addresses.  When I,
understandably, stood up for myself I got accused of following
"Microsoft practices".  I'm still not sure what that meant.

Several articles have stated that Open Source, and specifically Linux,
won't gain acceptance amongst "grand ma and grandpa" desktop users until
the Linux community itself gets off of it's "high horse".  That they
alienate people due to their attitudes.  Even having been a computer
network engineer for over 20 years and a user of Linux since Red Hat
version 5.x, they sure did a good job of alienating me from the forums;
and it looks like people are trying to do the same with regards to the
mailing list as well.