[CentOS] CentOS Based Fierwall Document

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Fri Aug 4 13:32:53 UTC 2006

On Fri, 4 Aug 2006, Frank Tanner III wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-08-04 at 13:15 +0200, Dag Wieers wrote:
> > On Thu, 3 Aug 2006, Frank Tanner III wrote:
> >
> > > It's no wonder that computer novices want nothing to do with Linux.
> >
> > Maybe Linux wants nothing to do with obnoxious people ?
> >
> > PS How you communicate influences how you are being perceived, and how you
> > are being perceived incluences how people respond. But if you want to
> > believe everybody who uses CentOS dislikes you, go ahead, nobody is
> > stopping you.
> >
> > Unless you want to believe they are. That's fine too. :)
>
> It's a well known "fact" amongst the general public that the Linux
> "evangelists" are a rude flaming bunch.  There are hundreds of news
> articles stating such.  An THIS is what the public in general bases
> their attitudes with regards to the community as a whole on.
>
> I communicated clearly and concisely.  I didn't say ONE negative thing
> until I got jumped on; or didn't you actually read the thread.

I agree your initial mail did not say ONE negative thing. But it was not
exactly clear and concise. It failed to reveal any information except
that you wrote a firewall document.

What's more you send it to a list where the majority did not know you, nor
your document. That's ok though, nobody is blaming you for that either. IF
you think that was a worthwhile thing to do, that's your choice.

But as soon as people ask you what the document is abouwhich is the
logical next step if you send a mail to a list that is uninformed), or
a location where you could put it, you started flaming people as if they
wanted to correct you. As if you had to defend yourself.

And I think that is exactly what enflamed the whole situation.

Now that is of course my description of what happened, but I guess I'm not
objective as I have been jumping on you as all these other "evangelists"
on this list. In fact, I really think they are out to get you. Run,
Forest, Run !

Kind regards,