[CentOS] CentOS Based Fierwall Document

pctech at mybellybutton.com pctech at mybellybutton.com
Fri Aug 4 14:24:43 UTC 2006

>On Fri, 4 Aug 2006, Frank Tanner III wrote:

>> > Maybe Linux wants nothing to do with obnoxious people ?
>> >
>> > PS How you communicate influences how you are being perceived, and how you
>
>> > are being perceived incluences how people respond. But if you want to
>> > believe everybody who uses CentOS dislikes you, go ahead, nobody is
>> > stopping you.
>> >
>> > Unless you want to believe they are. That's fine too. :)
>>
>> It's a well known "fact" amongst the general public that the Linux
>> "evangelists" are a rude flaming bunch.  There are hundreds of news
>> articles stating such.  An THIS is what the public in general bases
>> their attitudes with regards to the community as a whole on.
>>
>> I communicated clearly and concisely.  I didn't say ONE negative thing
>> until I got jumped on; or didn't you actually read the thread.
>
>I agree your initial mail did not say ONE negative thing. But it was not
>exactly clear and concise. It failed to reveal any information except
>that you wrote a firewall document.

Incorrect.  It said, "For those of you that have my firewall document."  So its target audience was very clear and concice.  In fact, that was the first statement.

>What's more you send it to a list where the majority did not know you, nor
>your document. That's ok though, nobody is blaming you for that either. IF
>you think that was a worthwhile thing to do, that's your choice.
>
>But as soon as people ask you what the document is abouwhich is the
>logical next step if you send a mail to a list that is uninformed), or
>a location where you could put it, you started flaming people as if they
>wanted to correct you. As if you had to defend yourself.

No.  They DIDN'T ask me what my document was about.  That asked me who I was and why they should care.  There is a HUGE difference.  They treated me like I didn't have the RIGHT to speak on the list.

I know you by reputation.  You are a fantastic package maintainer.  How would YOU ahve felt when you first started maintaining packages for the various Linux flavors if every time you tried to introduce what you'd been doing you got flamed down?  Because that's EXACTLY what has happened to me.  You'd have said, "Piss on it.  These guys are nothing but jerks that don't seem to be interested in what I say or what I have to offer.  They just want the opportunity to insult people who invade their little 'clique'."

Granted, I haven't been using Linux since before kernel 1.0, like, apparently, everyone else on the list has, but that doesn't mean that I don't have any useful input.