[CentOS] CentOS Based Fierwall Document

pctech at mybellybutton.com pctech at mybellybutton.com
Fri Aug 4 14:51:37 UTC 2006

>uklinux.net -
>The ISP of choice for the discerning Linux user.

>>> if you want your own private mailing list, go start one. bye bye! If you
>>> are going to post something here, making it meaningful to people who
>>> read the list - is a good thing, and expected from all posters.
>>>

>> It *WAS* meaningful.  For the people that it was applicable to.  Then
>> people decided that because it wasn't applicable to them that they
>> should flame me.
>
>It was not relevant to the majority of the people on this list. I read it
>and thought 'huh - weird  , has it been misposted ??, have I missed part
>of it ??, is it a strange new kind of spam ??, but I didnt find it
>important enough to comment.
>
>It certainly wasnt applicable to me , but more to the point I didnt know
>why it had been posted to this list and to what it referred.
>
>Were the people who it was relevant to then meant to ask you for a fresh
>copy to be sent to them ???
>
>This really is not the way that opensource documents are usually distributed -

So, seeing as how I am not some rich corporation that can afford stupid amounts of bandwidth exactly HOW am I supposed to distribute it any other way?  Nobody gave ANY information in this regard until I had been properly flamed first.

This is not the first document that I have distributed in this manner.  I've distributed a couple on the DNS and BIND list in this manner.  I have distributed a couple on the old Red Hat lists in this manner.

This is the FIRST time anyone has taken offense at my manner of transport for my document.

>opensource works by peole being able to take what they need, not request a
>copy ...
>
>Or if there was some hidden place that the knowing could download it from
>- again - neither the spirit nor method of open source.
>
>> It's attitudes such as this as to why people say, "You can never get good
>support with Open Source software."
>
>They are more likely to say that if they cant get hold of it in the first
>place ...
>
>> I came onto the list trying to be HJELPFUL, and got burnt to the ground
>instead.  JUST like in the forums.  I guess they'er right.  No good deed goes
>unpunished.
>>
>> Now I understand why nobody has offered a document like this to the
>> community before.  It certainly makes me want to keep all of my future
>> documents to myself.  They're OBVIOUSLY only a bother to everyone and
>> nobody wants them.
>>

>You really do seem to have an atiitude problem, and have already taken up
>far too much of the bandwidth on this - usually helpful and good mannered
>- list.

THAT is why I posted to the list.  Because I *THOUGHT* that it was usually helpful and good mannered.  Apparently there's some secret handshake involved in getting a HELPFUL and GOOD MANNERED response that I am unaware of.  Because I got neither until after I'd been flamed.