[CentOS] CentOS Based Fierwall Document

pctech at mybellybutton.com pctech at mybellybutton.com
Fri Aug 4 15:04:55 UTC 2006

>you

>> >I agree your initial mail did not say ONE negative thing. But it was not
>> >exactly clear and concise. It failed to reveal any information except
>> >that you wrote a firewall document.
>>
>> Incorrect.  It said, "For those of you that have my firewall document."
>> So its target audience was very clear and concice.  In fact, that was
>> the first statement.
>
>Ok. So because of that line nobody else could ask a question ? Or get
>flamed by _you_ otherwise. Why are you being so tense ? Your reaction
>caused this whole thread. (Not the initial mail, not Karanbir's answer)

It has nothing to do with nobody else asking a question.  It has to do with the WAY it was asked and WHAT was asked.  His question came across like, "You and your document don't f*cking matter because we have no idea who you are.  You're not welcome here."  Right or wrong, that's the way he came across.  In fact, more than one person came across that way.

>> >What's more you send it to a list where the majority did not know you, nor
>
>> >your document. That's ok though, nobody is blaming you for that either. IF
>
>> >you think that was a worthwhile thing to do, that's your choice.
>> >
>> >But as soon as people ask you what the document is abouwhich is the
>> >logical next step if you send a mail to a list that is uninformed), or
>> >a location where you could put it, you started flaming people as if they
>> >wanted to correct you. As if you had to defend yourself.
>>
>> No.  They DIDN'T ask me what my document was about.  That asked me who
>> I was and why they should care.  There is a HUGE difference.  They
>> treated me like I didn't have the RIGHT to speak on the list.
>
>That was one person, apparently you have succeeded to annoy many more
>people (including me). I was not involved in that.
>
>What's more, you seem to blame the whole community for what this one
>person has done to you ! How awfull ! I guess they should make it up to
>you now, right ?

No.  I blame the people specifically.  And since the vast majority of the people that have responded, both here and in the threads, respinded with overt hostitility, it sets the tone for the way the community appears.  Right or wrong.  That's what it does.  If you walked into a crowd of strangers and several of them reacted to you with overt hostility, you'd think, "Jeeze.  What a bunch of d*cks."

>> I know you by reputation.  You are a fantastic package maintainer.  How
>> would YOU ahve felt when you first started maintaining packages for the
>> various Linux flavors if every time you tried to introduce what you'd
>> been doing you got flamed down?  Because that's EXACTLY what has
>> happened to me.  You'd have said, "Piss on it.  These guys are nothing
>> but jerks that don't seem to be interested in what I say or what I have
>> to offer.  They just want the opportunity to insult people who invade
>> their little 'clique'."
>
>Karanbir is respected for his work in the CentOS community even more than
>I am. He's part of the CentOS team and similar to me, he has a huge
>repository of add-on packages.
>
>Nobody is a jerk. Nobody has flamed you. Nobody insulted you. And even if
>they did, there's no reason to insult back or cry fault or exagerate about
>things.

I haven't exaggerated about a thing.  I stated the way the community made me feel when I offered something up.  Nothing more, nothing less.  I was left with the perception that everyone was a bunch of rude jerks.  Right or wrong, that's the perception that came across.