[CentOS] Official Java

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Sun Aug 6 12:55:32 UTC 2006

On 8/6/06, Ted Miller <tmiller at broadcast.net> wrote:
> What is the official method to install Java on Centos?  I searched, but
> could find no mention of Java on the Web site.

Currently the "Best" method (very relative term here) is to get the
sun java rpm from java.sun.com and install it. (run the bin, agree to
the license and all that)

This puts java on your system in /usr/java/java-version  which is kind
of a screwed up place, and is not in any user's path by default.  To
resolve this and make things work, you then need to install the
compat-sun-java rpm from jpackage.org for your particular version of
java. This puts it into the alternatives framework which fixes the
path issues, sets it as the default, and makes it work. Hppefully
there will be a better method soon.

George Orwell