[CentOS] Samba & NFS and file name charsets

Christian Wahlgren

christian.wahlgren at gmail.com
Sun Aug 6 20:35:11 UTC 2006

Hi,

I have a problem copying files from a Suse 9.3 box to a CentOS 4.3 box
with maintained characters in the file names. They usually have a lot
of "åäö" (Swedish) in them and they are replaced by spaces when I copy
to the CentOS 4.3 box.

I have tried with nfs and then with Samba and get the same result. I
have searched the net and found some suggestions about smbmount
options "iocharset=utf8,codepage=unicode" but it didn't help.

What I've found out is that I can create file names with åäö from a
WindowsXP box through a samba share in the CentOS box, and it also
looks correct when I do a 'ls'. The same condition is also true with
the Suse box. So, I can from a WindowsXP box copy from the Suse box
and then save it on the CentOS box and get correct file names.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? None of the smb.conf on
the boxes have any special settings about charsets. The Suse box uses
ReiserFS and the CentOS uses ext3.

Thanks,
Christian