[CentOS] talking to users on on other boxes within my network...

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Mon Aug 7 15:33:54 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 10:47 -0400, Shawn K. O'Shea wrote:
> talkd isn't likely installed by default.
>
> Do a:
> yum install talk-server
> chkconfig talk on
>
> and that should get it going. I used to use talk a lot "back in the day"
>
> -Shawn

Since we aren't sure of his environment or anything, we should also
mention that after install in a normal GUI desktop, he can enter
"Service Configuration" and activate it there.

Also, as delivered, there is no "talkd", but the xinet versions, in.*.
If not low-volume, he may want to convert back to a standard daemon
(presumes normal security precautions elsewhere).

# rpm -q talk-server --filesbypkg
talk-server               /etc/xinetd.d/ntalk
talk-server               /etc/xinetd.d/talk
talk-server               /usr/sbin/in.ntalkd
talk-server               /usr/sbin/in.talkd
talk-server               /usr/share/man/man8/in.ntalkd.8.gz
talk-server               /usr/share/man/man8/in.talkd.8.gz
talk-server               /usr/share/man/man8/ntalkd.8.gz
talk-server               /usr/share/man/man8/talkd.8.gz

And apparently from kde and other stuff install:

# locate talkd
/etc/selinux/targeted/src/policy/file_contexts/program/ktalkd.fc
/usr/include/protocols/talkd.h
/usr/bin/ktalkdlg
/usr/bin/ktalkd
/usr/sbin/in.ntalkd
/usr/sbin/in.talkd

They don't want to make it easy for us old-timey CLI folks, eh?

If we don't quit, there'll be nothing left to be discovered.

--
Bill